- Work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary development team, taking responsibility for a wide range of tasks from brainstorming to detailed engineering development.
- Conceptualize and develop new products, parts, mechanisms, and assemblies possessing a high level of sophistication, complexity, and practicality.
- Utilize SolidWorks effectively to produce a range of meaningful deliverables, including 3D mechanical design, manufacturing tolerance analyses, and 2D production-level documentation of components and assemblies.
- Engage and manage outside vendors for prototyping, gathering manufacturability feedback and cost and lead-time estimates.
- Apply basic shop practices to create functional models in order to assess concept feasibility.
- Assemble prototypes, generate test plans, conduct tests, and create reports and other documentation tailored to project/client needs.
- Provide technical consultation to multi-disciplinary design teams with respect to fundamental engineering principles, manufacturing feasibility, and technical risks.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or other Engineering discipline required, M.S. preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years of design engineering experience in technology, medical, and/or consumer products, demonstrating technical and manufacturable solutions. Both industry and design consultancy experience desired. Medical device experience is a plus.
- Ability to generate robust 3D databases, mechanical drawings, prototypes, and written reports. 3D CAD experience a must. SolidWorks proficiency strongly preferred.
- Practical knowledge of statics, dynamics, strength of materials, thermal and fluid design, and the ability to effectively apply such knowledge in a fast-paced environment.
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of manufacturing processes, including injection molding, rapid prototyping, sheet metal fabrication, casting, and machining.
- Excellent capacity for both logical reasoning and creative thinking as evidenced by the ability to invent, conceptualize, and abstract.
- High level of personal commitment to quality, with demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail in all phases of a project.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, highlighted by a flexible and collaborative working style.
- Strong understanding and appreciation for industrial design, interaction design, and user research preferred.
- Passion for learning and an ability to “get smart fast”.
Impress us with
- Electro-mechanical experience, demonstrated success in mechanism development and the ability and willingness to fabricate, test, and debug prototypes.
- Experience in the areas of FEA, DFMA, dFMEA, and tolerance analysis.
- Ability to create electronics prototypes to support testing and data acquisition, explore technology possibilities, and create interactive prototypes.
Qualified candidates should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail a resume with link to your online portfolio and/or PDF with project samples, preferably some examples of products in production, and add a short cover letter so that we get a better feeling for who you are, and why you think you’re the right person for the job. We look forward to hearing from you. Please include “Mechanical Design Engineer” in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
More About Us
Essential Design, located in Boston, has developed an award-winning portfolio of products and services in collaboration with clients from consumer, commercial, and medical domains – ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500s. Our work bridges physical and digital products and services. As a result, our design team aims to enhance holistic user experiences. A cross-section of our recent work includes consumer products, professional equipment, medical devices, health and wellness platforms/communities, ‘green’ building initiatives, and athletic performance monitoring systems. Our office is a casual, loft-like, studio atmosphere with very convenient access to public transit.
Essential provides competitive compensation and benefits packages.